Friday, September 23, 2011

Update

Well, I guess I posted my miserable state one day too soon.  As I was settling down with The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, I grabbed Dean Young's Fall Higher to comfort me through the commercials.  Right before the show started I began reading Young's poem, "Scarecrow on Fire" and everything just clicked.  I rushed to my bedroom to begin drafting a poem.  I ended up missing the first half of The Daily Show to get the short poem into one of my notebooks.

The process was nothing less than magic, as most of you are already aware.  The poem came to me as one complete unit.  Simple.  Straightforward, and direct.  Fortunately for me, most of my poems are on the shorter side, so the experience  felt whole, complete. I walked out of the bedroom in a bit of a haze, as this really was the first natural poetry writing I have experienced in about a year.  I had tinkered, but this was the first new poem for me in quite some time.  As I write this I am still feeling the lingering tickle of endorphins in my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment