Thursday, May 17, 2012

Right now



I am teaching Alfred, Lord Tennyson's poem, "Ulysses" and this is the song I play when my students struggle to make a connection to the term, hungry heart.  It seems to work fine and some of the kids are surprised to see modern song writing (well, modern in relative terms) taking cues from classic literature.

I just thougt I would share.

* * *

It's the end of the year run to the finish line for me.  I have my Sailing This Nameless Ship manuscript out to a few places, and I am doing some more reading to help me write some of the poems for my latest Springville manuscript.  I am, however, putting all of my writing efforts into creating a speech.  I was recently asked if I would deliver the faculty speech at this year's commencement exercises.  This will mark the second time I will be giving the speech, and I am doing my best to avoid sentimentality and an endless string of pop-psychology advice axioms.  I am still not sure how it's going to work out.  I may have to fall back on cliche if I cannot do something to my liking.

* * *

I had to re-submit my Nevada Arts Council Grant because I had not titled the uploaded documents correctly.  Such is life.  I still maintain this system is easier than mailing everything in with duplicates.  The most difficult part is, strangely enough, signing the verification letter with blue ink.  There never seems to be a blue ink pen around when I need one, and the instructions are immutable.  No red ink, no green ink.  Just blue.  I asked for my panel comments again this year because I am a masochist.  Again: Such is life.

See you all on the flip side.

No comments:

Post a Comment